Decision support tools
Invasive species: identification kits
The invasive species pre-screening toolkits available on this
page are based on VisualBasic code from the original Weed
Risk Assessment (WRA) toolkit (Pheloung et al. 1999).
We are grateful to P.C. Pheloung, P.A.
Williams and S.R. Halloy for providing an open version of
their original WRA toolkit, with permission to adapt the original
code for the toolkits developed by Cefas listed below
(also using new VisualBasic programming).
These toolkits are Crown copyright but may be downloaded for
free, and freely distributed provided this notice is retained:
No warranty, expressed or
implied, is made and users should satisfy themselves as to the
applicability of the results in any given
- Background and guidance (PDF, 534 KB)
- FISK – Freshwater Fish Invasiveness Scoring Kit, v1.19 (Excel, 1.71 MB)
- FI-ISK – Freshwater Invertebrate Invasiveness Scoring Kit, v1.19 (Excel, 1.66 MB)
- MFISK – Marine Fish Invasiveness Scoring Kit, v1.19 (Excel, 1.64 MB)
- AmphISK - Amphibian Invasiveness Scoring Kit, v1.19 (Excel, 1.65 MB)
- MI-ISK – Marine Invertebrate Invasiveness Scoring Kit, v1.19 (Excel, 1.71 MB)
- S-FISK – Spanish language version of FISK, v1.19 (Excel, 1.71 MB)
Risk analysis scheme for non-native species in
The European non-native species risk analysis scheme (ENSARS)
was developed as part of an EC project called "IMPASSE"
(environmental impacts of alien species in aquaculture). This
project was designed to support Community provisions relating to
alien and locally absent species in aquaculture (see COM (2006)
ENSARS incorporates the pre-screening tools available above, and
the report to
the EC in which ENSARS is described in detail is available to
download for free here: